By Broadus Schools Superintendent Jim Hansen
February 13, 2020
We have been fortunate so far this winter to have had mild temperatures and better than average road conditions. In cases of severe weather, one of my most troubling decisions has been to decide when we will cancel school. Sure, I have some general guidelines that aid me in my decision. I would more than likely cancel school if the official temperature in Broadus was -30 degrees or the wind chill exceeded -45 degrees.
However, my greatest concern for student safety continues to be road conditions, which can be extremely dangerous even at much higher temperatures. When road conditions det...